“Things will resolve eventually”
“Things will resolve eventually”, an approach that so far has not made a lot of sense to us. Problems don’t solve themselves, unless it is not real problems. It can seem a bit naive, maybe even stupid, however, we have had to acknowledge, that this approach has paid off multiple times, and at the end we have solved issues or reached our goals without spending too much energy worrying.
This is something we have had to practice, and not something that just came naturally to us. When facing difficult challenges, we have insisted on things would eventually get solved in one or the other way. The challenges that have emerged since we decided to buy the boat, and during our trip sailing it all the way from Spain to Denmark, have for the major part been solved without sleepless nights. Well ok, I’ll admit that when we drifted around for a day or so on the Bay of Biscay without wind and a working engine, with huge containerships around us, I didn’t sleep much. But it was good training for me in thinking rational and not get scared.
This was solved as well – the wind came back and helped us all the way to England, where we just made it before the harbour gate closed in Penzance, and an engineer fixed the issue with the engine. Without being as dramatic as this, we have experienced this several times. Not because we have leaned back waiting for a solution, but we haven’t allowed thoughts of “what if we don’t succeed…?” to dominate.
The latest practicing within “Things will resolve, eventually”, has been regarding getting a berth for Carpe Diem here in Denmark. We did have a berth in Sundby, and also checked the depths was 2 meters which is greater than our draft of 1,9 meters. Pretty late, we realize that this depth is only in the basin and not at the berth, and furthermore depending on the level of silting up in the entrance to the marina.
Previously it was possible to get a berth in multiple marinas in this area, but the demand for a berth has increased quite a lot. We succeeded in getting a temporary berth in Ishøj south of Copenhagen, which is 30 minutes away by car, at least a lot easier than with the boat in a different country. However, the hope has been to get a berth where we could easily drop by without getting in the car, and where we could get to or from work by bike. Maybe even a place where we could move into the boat as live-aboard’s.
Wishes have been many, but again it seems as it has been solved again, at least a first step. We now have a winter berth in Lynetten, which Søren bikes close by on his way home from work, and it is within biking distance of both our work places. It is even the marina we preferred getting a berth in. So in a few days we sail Carpe Diem from Ishøj to its, hopefully, new home, and it will now be in the same marina as our previous boat. It has been indicated to us, that we should be able to keep the berth for the summer season as well, så we are crossing our fingers for that. And otherwise, things will resolve eventually…